Explore Business Directory

How it's done

Blackfalds is home to a wide variety of businesses. Understanding the types of businesses and where they are located may help you make better business and investment decisions. In order to manage growth, the municipality issues business licences to confirm and ensure lawful operation in the municipality. If required, a business licence helps to regulate taxes, protect consumers and ensure public safety. This tool will help you answer three important questions.

What types of businesses are there and where are they located?

Use the interactive Business Directory map below to learn more about our businesses and gain insights into the land use zones within which they operate. More information on land use regulations can be found here.

Do I need a business licence to conduct my business?

Many businesses located, or providing services, within the Town boundaries are required to maintain a current annual business licence. The business licences in the Town of Blackfalds are valid for one calendar year (January - December) and renewals are automatically mailed out to registered business owners prior to their expiry. For more detailed information refer to the Business Licence Bylaw.

As a general guide, if your business falls under any of the descriptions listed below you will likely require a business licence from the Town of Blackfalds.

  • Commercial, Retail or Industrial Business
  • Home-based Business
  • General Contractor or Sub-Contractor
  • Direct Seller or Commercial Agent
  • Mobile Retail, Mobile Vending Unit
  • Push Cart Vending Unit or Hawker/Peddler
  • Farmers Market
  • Other Public Market or Trade Show

How do I get a business licence?

You can apply for a business license by filling out the Business Licence Application and submitting it in one of the following ways:

  • In person between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday
  • By mail to Town of Blackfalds, Box 220, 5018 Waghorn St, Blackfalds, AB T0M 0J0
  • By phone to 403.885.4677
  • Fax to 403.885.4610
  • Email to

Once your application has been submitted and the payment has been processed, a Business Certificate will be sent to you in the mail. Please contact us if you have any questions about the application.

Get this research

Receive a PDF report of this research.

Get Report

Help us help you

Tell us how this page can be more helpful.

Tell us!

Contact us

Jennifer Hartigh
Economic Development Officer